Friday, November 13, 2009

Thoughts on Love, Love Lost, dogs and facebook.

So here I am and it's Monday. You know I have never been one of those guys to dread Monday. Never had a "case of the Mondays." I love my job and when I'm not working I actually don't know what to do with myself unless I go see my good ol' boys back home. My sister Sheila, you may know her better as Satan's canvas, once told me of a clinical diagnosis for people who dread Monday so bad that come Sunday they pretty much go into depression. Of course I can't remember what she called it but it has always stuck with me. I say that because one of my really good friend's wife may suffer from that particular "disease" but I love her just the same.

So my best friend's dog got his hiney whipped by a cat today! Baxter Maples is his name, the pride of the Maples clan, and every since they took his manhood....he has really turned to a puss. His master sent me a text out of no where today to let me know my favorite canine was handed a whipping by a feline. Reminded me of a lot of my male friends these days. ;)

I have never really liked dogs much and I strongly dislike cats. I have a theory that there is a strong correlation between the pets and number of pets you have to your true social status. Oh you may be in at a higher socio-economic level but your true social status is another thing all together. And cats stink....A LOT!

Love lost...oh what mess. I have often been called a man afraid of commitment. The easel, Matt, Sheila's husband, calls me a free spirit. I don't think its a bad thing necessarily but it does make sense why I'm 35 and not married. I think, however, that it's not the fear of commitment but more the fear of loss. I have given my heart to a couple of women in my life and it never feels good when it's over. It's never easy, it's never fun and sometimes it's no one's fault. Sure love is a gamble, but to really do it right it seems to me that you have to be "all in" or what's the use. So the question I ask myself is this...am I ever going to go "all in" or just sit around and be blinded out? Time will tell.....until then I'll keep looking for the right hole cards.

Today a complete stranger stopped me, I was rocking out to a little eminem as I had just finished my first workout in about 4 weeks, and said "you seem so happy, you don't see that much." I told her to shut the hel...just kidding, I said thank you and informed her that I was indeed happy. I am for the most part a happy person. I don't have a lot of bad days I think partly because of luck and partly because it seems that bad days are just a choice you make and it makes no sense to me to choose to have a bad day. I tell all my teams, and I try to live it myself, to make some body's day better everyday. It's so easy to smile, say hi, make eye contact, plant a big fat french kiss on someone..(beware of that last one, it can occasionally backfire.) But in reality life really isn't that bad is it? I love God, I love to love, I love helping people, and I love all these things because I am extremely selfish! When I love I feel amazing! euphoric I think is the word. As you can tell, I never loved vocabulary or spelling though...not euphoric to me...not at all.
Too many people in this world would change places with me in a heart beat. Great friends, great family, great church that I have been missing lately, great looks and a great hair. How could I ever choose to have a bad day?

Lastly, facespace....I will dabble into that one at a later time.

Thursday I am supposed to go dancing and a concert with some old friends. All I can say to this is a stolen, slightly altered quote by dane cook, "screw girls tonight guys, all I want to do is DANCE!!!"

Signing off,
Gerald C. Slickett, Mr. D. Cheezee

2 comments:

  1. Another good one, Joel! Yes, cats do stink...literally and figuratively. Yes, you will be a guy who goes "all in"...when you find the right one.

    And have fun on Thursday! I remember going dancing with you...always a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel this is a great blog.... brings out the humor you have always exhibited....

    And I to believe one day you will go "all in". :)

    ReplyDelete